The default installation of IIS 7 does not include the Basic authentication role service, If you wan to use this feature in IIS 7 then you must install the role service. After that you have to disable Anonymous authentication for your Web site or application, and enable Basic authentication for the site or application.Now let’s see HOW TO ENABLE BASIC AUTHENTICATION in IIS 7 ?
WINDOWS VISTA OR WINDOWS 7
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. In Control Panel, click Programs and Features, and then click Turn Windows Features on or off.
3. Expand Internet Information Services, expand World Wide Web Services, expand Security, select Basic Authentication, and then click OK.
WINDOWS SERVER 2008 OR WINDOWS SERVER 2008 R2
1. click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Server Manager.
2. In the Server Manager hierarchy pane, expand Roles, and then click Web Server (IIS).
3. In the Web Server (IIS) pane, scroll to the Role Services section, and then click Add Role Services.
4. On the Select Role Services page of the Add Role Services Wizard, select Basic Authentication, and then click Next.
5. On the Confirm Installation Selections page, click Install.
6. On the Results page, click Close.
HOW TO ENABLE BASIC AUTHENTICATION AND DISABLE ANONYMOUS AUTHENTICATION
Open Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager:
Goto RUN->type “inetmgr” click ok
In the Connections pane, expand the server name, expand Sites, and then click the site, application or Web service for which you want to enable basic authentication.
Scroll to the Security section in the Home pane, and then double-click Authentication.
In the Authentication pane, select Basic Authentication, and then, in the Actions pane, click Enable.
In the Authentication pane, select Anonymous Authentication, and then click Disable in the Actions pane.